Tasmanian courts' operations should be reassessed to help slow the spread of coronavirus, Labor says.
Shadow Attorney-General Ella Haddad said the state government should review the operations of the Supreme Court, magistrates courts and tribunals.
Supreme Court Chief Justice Alan Blow on Wednesday announced jury trials would be suspended until at least July 21 for reasons including the level of public alarm about the virus.
Shadow Attorney-General Ella Haddad said that was a good start , " ... but more needs to be done to assess other operations of the Supreme Court and the operation of the magistrates court and tribunals".
"These are extraordinary times and all institutions must adapt to deliver their services in a way that places a priority on protecting public health.
"We are fortunate that technology is available to help achieve this for our court proceedings.
"Other states and territories are taking proactive steps to minimise the number of people who have to physically attend court by making effective use of technology.
"We call on the Tasmanian government to do the same."
Ms Haddad said there was a limited window of opportunity to protect the community.
Lawyer Greg Barns on Wednesday said scrapping minor court cases should be considered as part of the coronavirus response, as well as increased use of technology to help limit the numbers of people in court buildings.
Attorney-General Elise Archer said the government was working closely with the courts in a rapidly changing environment.
"Though it remains the case that the operation of the courts is a matter for the judiciary, the government is ensuring the courts have the most recent health advice to inform and support their decisions on how to respond to COVID-19," she said.
The Supreme Court said: "So far as possible, steps will be taken to avoid the need for people to come to court, and to protect them from any risk of infection when they have to come to court."