Hobart's iconic Salamanca Market will shut down for the next two weeks due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The cancellation follows last week's announcement of the cancellation of all public gatherings over 500 across Australia and Wednesday's banning of indoor events with more than 100 people.
On Wednesday afternoon the market released a statement on Facebook announcing the two-week cancellation.
"Today we have made the difficult decision to cancel Salamanca Market for the next two weeks," it said.
"Each week, thousands of people from all around the world attend our market and it's a cultural hub for locals and tourists alike.
"It's not in the best interests of our community, our staff and our stallholders, to put anyone at risk in these uncertain times."
IN OTHER NEWS:
The market will be closed on March 21 and 28.
The statement also recommended people who were planning on attending the Saturday market continued to support local businesses.
"We recommend that you support our local businesses, many of which are open and need your help," it said.
"Go for a drive in the country, visit a vineyard, a cheesemaker, or an artist's studio.
"Even better, find a few of our stallholders with websites or a roadside stall and give them some love."
Destination Southern Tasmania's chief executive officer Alex Heroys said he understood the economic impact it would have on businesses.
"While this is obviously a difficult decision, we fully support the City of Hobart in the interests of market patrons, stallholders and staff health and safety," he said.
"We are all in this together and it's a chance to truly band together and support each other.
"Every single tourism operator, café and retail business is also hurting right now.
"We commend the council for investigating other options and offering support for the Salamanca Market stallholders.
"[It] will be back, when we are all back."
To find a Salamanca Market stall holder visit, https://www.salamancamarket.com.au/Find-a-stall.
Sign up to one of our many newsletters: