Premier Peter Gutwein has defended his decision not to close schools during the coronavirus pandemic, saying if they could be shut for the rest of the year if the move was made.
Parliamentary proceedings resumed on Tuesday with lower house members socially distancing themselves, sitting a seat apart.
Just 15 of the 25 members were present in the chamber.
Parliament House was also closed to visitors.
Mr Gutwein faced several questions on why he had not made a decision to close schools.
He said the prospect of school closures was being actively considered and planned for, however, the Education Department had introduced other risk management measures in regards to the virus.
"Once schools close they will not close for a short period of time - they could close for the rest of the year," Mr Gutwein said.
"That brings with it not only social dislocation but also brings that challenge of how those children are appropriately managed if they are out of school for an extended period of time."
IN OTHER NEWS:
Education Minister Jeremy Rockliff said schools had adopted social distancing measures from this week and cancelled all assemblies, excursions, fairs, concerts, sports carnivals and camps.
"The restrictions on these activities will be in place until further notice and regularly reviewed," he said.
Mr Rockliff said schools had been advised that hard surfaces, such as keyboards and desks, should be regularly disinfected.
He said the Australian Principle Health Protection Committee had advised that pre-emptive school closures were not likely to be proportionate or effective as a public health intervention to prevent community transmission of coronavirus.
"While we are advised currently it is not required to close any school sites, we are preparing for all situations so if the advice was to change, we can act swiftly," Mr Rockliff said.
He said the department had been working over several weekend to determine online delivery of learning material and literacy packages for students who did not have access to the internet.
Labor's education spokesman Josh Willie said parents were confused about mixed messages from state and federal governments on school procedures.
"Parents don't know whether to send their kids to school or not and feel abandoned by their governments," he said
"In this leadership vacuum, it has been left to individuals and organisations to take their own actions, with some schools already switching to online learning and many parents opting to keep their children home."
Mr Gutwein will this afternoon in Parliament announce the first stage of an economic stimulus package to counter the impacts of coronavirus on Tasmania.