Tasmanians will have to wait until mid-January to learn whether a deal has been struck to see the state return to the NBL.
Tasmania has gone unrepresented in the National Basketball League since 1995 but is believed to be close to securing its return with more than 10,000 online signatures calling for the state to be awarded a licence for the 2021-22 season.
An NBL Tasmania Advisory Board was also formed earlier this year.
Speaking on Friday, NBL owner Larry Kestelman said he was expecting to arrange a deal with the state government early in 2020.
MORE BASKETBALL:NBL won't shoot down Tassie's A-League hopes
"We've had a number of positive discussions with the government," he said.
"While we would have liked to have finalised an agreement by Christmas, they have assured us they would like to do this by mid-January so we can start planning.
"As we've said, we need to have certainty as quickly as possible if we are to be able to deliver an NBL team for Tasmania for the 2021-22 season.
"There is a lot to be done and we look forward to a speedy resolution with all parties."
ELSEWHERE IN SPORT