A man whose hand was badly burnt by hot fat while barbecuing at the Port Sorell Bowls Club is suing the club for damages.
Kraig Anthony Dann, of Port Sorell, alleges the injury resulted in him losing his job as a tradesman at a mining site and has left him wholly incapacitated from work due to the negligence of the club, of which he was a member.
Mr Dann alleges he and another member were asked to barbecue meat for fifty to sixty people at the club's 'Barefoot Bowlers' promotional evening on November 17, 2015.
While barbecuing, Mr Dann alleges the fat runoff container overflowed and the fat caught fire.
IN OTHER NEWS
In an attempt to stop the fire spreading to the gas cylinder, Mr Dann attempted to remove the fat runoff container from beneath the barbecue which resulted in the hot fat causing serious burns to his hand.
He claims the club was negligent in failing to provide a proper barbecue, protective gear or fire safety equipment and a coffee cup was substituted for an adequate fat runoff system.
Mr Dann claims his injuries were further exacerbated by the club's negligence by failing to provide adequate first aid or call an ambulance.
His right hand and fingers were severely burned and he has experienced prolonged pain, residual scarring and restriction of movement likely to be permanent.
Occupational physician Dr Tim Steward told the Hobart Supreme Court on Friday when he examined Mr Dann's hand he observed first degree burns.
Dr Stewart said he did not consider the injury to be the result of an underlying medical condition.
The court heard Mr Dann was approaching 50 years of age and was experienced in working on industrial sites.
"His prospects at the moment don't look great but with appropriate rehabilitation, in its broadest sense, it's not impossible," Dr Stewart.
Mr Dann is seeking special damages and for the club to pay his legal costs.
A decision is expected at a later date.