Batten Street is one of four short byways between Canning and Balfour streets towards the south end of Charles Street.
For many years as our town grew this area was just a grant of land, originally apportioned to Nathaniel Russell to the north side and Matthew Campbell to the south.
These names appear on a map of 1856 drawn by the Assistant Surveyor for Tasmania.
Russell and Campbell kept it as an investment, recognising even then the long-term value in real estate holdings.
Others did the same, but it was not until the 1870s that Batten Street was identified in the town assessment rolls as "off Charles-street", and it was even later before buildings were erected as co-joined dwellings for rent.
There have been many interesting people who have lived in Batten Street as renters, the most significant being the family of Mrs Amelia J Edwards and her four sons Frank, Ernest, Victor and A.L.
The first three enlisted in the AIF and A.L. joined the RAN.
All four served overseas in the 1914-1918 war and all returned home safely.
Frank was decorated for his leadership and courage during the attack on St Quentin near Peronne and received the Military Medal and Bar.
This family lived at 12 Batten Street.
Next door at no. 14 lived Mrs Eleanor Arnot and son James, who enlisted but was killed in action in July 1915.
Mrs Arnot moved in with Mrs Edwards at no. 12 to share expenses, rations, sorrows and joys.
There was a happy event for the Cooper family at no. 7 when Bernice Cooper married Owen Stone at St John's Church.
She wore a gown of heavy cream slipper satin, with a long train.
Mrs R Hortle was maid-of-honour and the bride carried dahlias and rosebuds.
Jean Jordon of Evandale was struck by a motor-bus driven by Roy Price of 3 Batten Street.
Jean and her friend were cycling down York Street.
Fortunately, she was thrown clear, but the cycle was badly damaged.
Mr and Mrs EW Morcom and their son Edwin lived at 8 Batten Street and Mr and Mrs J Patmore and their daughter Connie lived at 17.
Mrs M West was at no. 6 when she wrote a glowing testimonial to the distributors of 'Chamberlain's Cough Remedy' on how it cured her little girls.
Mrs A Neep rented no. 13.
Among today's residents there are still many renters but there are now four resident owners who have lived in Batten Street for around 20 years.
Batten Street achieved fame, or infamy, from the pen of Rohan Wilson in his book, To Name Those Lost.