The $7.3 million redevelopment of the Ashley Youth Detention Centre is one step closer to being realised, with the state government advertising tender notices for the project.
It comes after the bungled release of a report detailing Tasmanian Custodial Inspector Richard Connick's concerns about the state of the Deloraine detention centre.
Parts of the document were redacted but the words were still visible through the black ink.
IN OTHER NEWS:
The report was critical of security measures in place at Ashley, as well as screening processes for visitors, the use of force against detainees and isolation methods.
It was an election promise of the Hodgman government to upgrade the Ashley facilities.
The tenders advertised in The Examiner on Saturday sought a project manager and invited architectural consultants to apply to undertake "design and contract management services" for the redevelopment.
"The redevelopment incorporates changes to the Ashley Youth Detention Centre built environment to deliver a fit for purpose facility under a therapeutic model of care," the tender notices read.
Human Services Minister Roger Jaensch said the major redesign and upgrade of the facilities would ensure they were "modern".
"We are redesigning the youth justice system and the AYDC to give young offenders the care and skills they need to lead positive lives when they return to our community," Mr Jaensch said.
"The next step in this process is the recruitment of a project manager and to engage an architectural consultancy service, both of which were advertised this weekend."
Opposition Leader Rebecca White said it seemed like the government had been "embarrassed into actually taking some action now".
"I think the community would be concerned to learn that the government haven't progressed an election promise nearly two years on from making it, especially given that report was so damning," she said.