Hobart Chargers are set to announce a fresh president on Tuesday to succeed David Bartlett's last term from 2018.
The former state premier revealed on Hobart radio on Saturday he will step down after three years in charge.
The move comes nearly a year after the Chargers had withdrawn from the NBL1 competition over a dispute with Basketball Tasmania.
The differences have since been patched up and the one of three Tasmanian sides - along with the Launceston Tornadoes and North West Thunder - will play in 2020.
The Chargers will replace the Hobart Huskies, who withdrew support earlier in the year after owners owed considerable debts from the franchise's single season playing in New Zealand.
That could have left the city without representation until the Chargers' decision to resume from their 2018 SEABL championship year.
Hobart has been issued an initial one-year licence to bring them in line with the NBL1 foundation clubs.
Mt Gambier Pioneers will also join NBL1 next season.
NBL chief operating officer Andy Crook said the Chargers' inclusion was integral to grow the game in Tasmania.
"Basketball is thriving in Tasmania and the Hobart Chargers joining NBL1 will help grow the game. Tasmania is an extremely important region for Australian basketball and we've already stated our desire to put a 10th NBL team in the state," he said.
The club has set an ambitious plan to land 10 future NBL and 10 WNBL players over the next 10 years.
Subscriptions are available here.
Sign up to our Sport email here.