A home is supposed to be a safe place.
When the simple act of being at home can lead to lasting health problems, it is no longer safe.
Families around the state have reported developing respiratory illnesses from living in mould-infested houses - both in public and private tenancies.
The Burnie family we featured today is one of many The Examiner has reported on in the past year alone.
Our journalists have also covered cases of mould growing in rental properties at Trevallyn, Devonport and Ravenswood, and also at Queechy High School in the past year.
Living in a mould-infested property that could cause life-long illness is not acceptable, however many of these tenants have no other option and so feel they are forced to stay.
Mould occurs in damp and poorly-ventilated buildings, with potentially toxic black mould growing on water-damaged building materials.
Inhaling mould fragments or spores can inflame the airways, causing nasal congestion, wheezing, chest tightness, coughing and throat irritation, Massey University Professor Jeroen Douwes has found.
"Prolonged exposure to high levels of indoor dampness can reduce lung function and cause chronic health problems such as asthma," Professor Douwes said.
"Those who already suffer from asthma and allergies are more likely to have more severe symptoms when exposed."
Research by the World Health Organization in the Environmental burden of disease associated with inadequate housing report, found "a significant portion of childhood asthma can be attributed to indoor mould and dampness".
Professor Douwes also writes that "since dampness is more likely to occur in houses that are overcrowded and lack appropriate heating, ventilation and insulation, the prevalence of damp indoor problems in low-income communities and rental accommodation can be substantially higher".
Painting over mould is not a suitable treatment; better mould remediation works are needed now.