The reason a historic wall, recommended for heritage listing, wasn't protected by the City of Launceston council has been questioned by the public.
At Thursday's council meeting Glenda King asked why a wall, built in the 1870s, wasn't granted interim protection by the council in light of a heritage advisory committee's recommendation. The question was put on notice.
On Tuesday the red brick masonry wall surrounding 14-16 St Georges Square was knocked down, despite a development application before the council stating it would not be.
The council's heritage advisory committee unanimously agreed to support council officers to nominate the structure for protection at its July 4 meeting.
The council received the committee's report on Thursday.
However, councillor and committee member Tim Walker said the DA's emphasis to retain the wall was an important factor for the heritage recommendation.
"It would appear that the conclusion in this week's agenda of the heritage advisory committee's recommendation, may have played some part in the preceding event," he said.
"We are not to know that and I would expect now the heritage advisory committee will look at revisiting the situation, in light of subsequent events."
Ms King implored the council to seek a positive solution and to ensure the wall was rebuilt to its original specifications, adding it should still be heritage listed.
"I think that is a satisfactory resolution for the parties, for what has been a very divisive issue and one that has certainly sparked a high degree of community outrage," she said.
Cr Hugh McKenzie, who chairs the committee, said its role was to advise the council, not to make decisions, adding he had been left "dismayed" by the events of the week.
General manager Michael Stretton said the council was investigating the circumstances surrounding the wall being knocked down.