The state government and Labor will separately meet with the owners of TEMCO on Wednesday in an effort to gain clarity over a review of the Bell Bay manganese smelter.
The future of the facility and its 300 workers was raised once again in Parliament on Tuesday with accusations from the Opposition that the government had not been enough engaged with the review process.
TEMCO's owners South32 in May announced a review of its Australian and South African alloy smelters.
An update on that review is expected to be made in October.
Labor jobs spokeswoman Michelle O'Byrne said Premier Will Hodgman needed to report back to Parliament after Wednesday's meeting and inform the chamber what measures had been put on the table to ensure the smelter's future operation.
She accused Mr Hodgman of having a "hands off approach" to the potential threat of the smelter's closure which would devastate the George Town community and broader Northern Tasmanian economy.
Mr Hodgman said the government would seek a clear understanding of the review process from South32 and discuss what the government could do to ensure its continued presence in the state.
"This government will engage positively, constructively, and in a way that supports not only the interests of that business but also Tasmania's business and our economy," he said.
"There are a lot of positive things to talk to the owners of this business about and how we can continue to support their workers."
TEMCO is Australia's only manganese alloy smelter.
The smelter was shut down for three months in 2012 by then-owner BHP Billiton.
It blamed a high Australian dollar and weak global markets for the closure.