The fate of the Reckitt's Blue painted sign on the CH Smith building has revived interest in 'ghost signs' around Launceston.
These old advertising signs remind us of times past and there is a definite feeling of nostalgia attached to seeing them survive.
However, as well as preserving advertising for products, the signs can be a key to our city's history.
One of the best-preserved ghost signs in Launceston is the 'Wonderland' sign in George Street.
Castley's Wonderland was upstairs at 66A Brisbane Street from the early 1920s until about 1960.
The entrance was next to the former Chung Gon's fruit shop, now Zambrero.
The shop catered for tourists and locals alike and was a draw card for children with its mix of souvenirs, rock samples and toys.
RELATED STORY:Take a visual tour of Launceston's ghost signs
The 'D Ritchie and son, Millers' sign at 27 Charles Street, probably dates from 1896 when the original 1870 mill building on the site was extended and a brick front added.
The building at this stage housed offices and a store while milling operations were carried out at the firm's Cataract Mill (now Stillwater).
Irvine and McEachern, who began trading under that name in 1868, were wholesale and retail grocers and wine and spirits merchants who also had premises in Brisbane Street.
Their sign is on the northern face of Cascade House in lower George Street.
The John McKenzie & Co. ghost sign, at 118 St John St advertises whisky but also non-alcoholic cider.
The firm's premises were in Cameron Street and they described themselves as merchants and importers.
These last two signs have deteriorated greatly since 2008.
The National Theatre in Charles Street, where Foot and Playsted has been since 1969, still boasts a painted sign with its name on the eastern wall of the building, visible from Paterson Street.
Below it is a sign for Velvet Soap that was visible in 2008 but is now quite faded.
RELATED STORY:Signs of Launceston's past life
The privately-owned theatre was opened in 1915 and could seat over 1000 people.
It hosted performances by entertainers such as singer Joan Hammond, violinist Isaac Stern and pianist Eileen Joyce.
Other signs, reminders of the facilities and offices the building contained in its early days are at street level on the southern wall - The National Cafe, the Australian Women's National League and The Tas Automobile Chamber of Commerce.
When using the car park behind Myer, spare a thought for the Birchalls sign painted on the wall nearby - maybe our most recent ghost sign. Will it survive any redevelopment?