Security staff at Blundstone Arena will receive additional training following a viral video that shows a guard about to break up an on-field tussle between players, re-energising debate around security guard behaviour at AFL matches.
Footage has emerged of a security staffer starting to run onto the field to break up a scuffle between players during Sunday's game in Hobart.
As he broke up the wrestle between GWS defender Heath Shaw and North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell, the umpire, Nathan Williamson, had to tell the man to leave the field.
"It's all right, you can't come on here," Williamson said over the umpire microphone.
Blundstone Arena general manager Stephen McMullen told The Age measures have been taken to ensure it doesn't happen again.
"The venue and AFL spoke to the security provider on Sunday night following the match and further training of staff will be undertaken ahead of future events at Blundstone Arena," he said.
"The further training provided to security staff will ensure they're aware their focus is on the crowd unless a patron enters the field of play."
WATCH THE INCIDENT:
Meanwhile, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan will be in the hot seat when he fronts a media conference to discuss fans and venue security.
McLachlan publicly apologised on Monday night in the wake of mounting angst amid supporters about how they are being treated at matches.
There has been a massive backlash from fans in the wake of increased security measures at venues.
On Monday night, McLachlan told News Ltd it hurt him that fans were feeling intimidated at AFL matches.
"I'm sorry they are feeling intimidated. If people are feeling threatened we obviously will listen ... I'm appalled," McLachlan said
"It hurts me to hear our administration is not looking after the fans.''
Earlier on Monday, McLachlan had met with Marvel Stadium chief executive Michael Green.
There were several incidents in the crowd on Friday and Saturday nights at the two Marvel Stadium games.
Also on Monday, Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett said a crackdown on crowd behaviour by the AFL is unacceptable, despite McLachlan previously stating that there was no change to how the league manages crowds.
Stadium management have conceded they went too far with a heightened level of security which left some fans uneasy, but ground management maintained that the AFL wasn't behind the move - which Kennett doesn't believe.
Kennett also came in for criticism after he questioned whether security staff were "new arrivals" to Australia with sufficient knowledge of the game to police crowd behaviour.
"I'm not being racist when I say this, but when I saw some of the footage, the people who are making judgements while they wear these authoritative coats are not people who appear to have a great knowledge of our game," he said.
"And yet they make judgements about what's correct and what's not correct."
AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan will address the media on the issue on Tuesday afternoon.
Australian Associated Press