A house fire that left a father seriously burnt and caused $150,000 damage has been deemed accidental.
Leaking gas, most likely from a fridge which had been converted to LPG, caused the explosion. Tasmania Fire Service crews attended the fire at Brandum in the Central Plateau on Sunday night.
IN OTHER NEWS
The two-bedroom house was engulfed by fire upon arrival. A family of four was staying at the house, but the mother and two children were not physically injured.
TFS Regional Fire Investigator Adam Doran said the family staying at the house were very lucky to escape alive.
"The occupants, who were visitors to the property at the time, were thankfully able to find an escape route from the property," he said.
The 39-year-old man was believed to be close to the gas leak when the explosion occurred. He was taken to the hospital with burns to his face, hands and airway.
"This incident highlights the need for people staying in short-term accommodation to get to know the layout of the property, including their escape routes," Mr Doran said.