The future viability of the Launceston International is in jeopardy unless Tennis Tasmania can reach out for a financial lifeline to help fund the proposed development of the tournament venue.
City of Launceston council will consider on Thursday to inject $300,000 into the lofty $4 million project.
But Tennis Tasmania chief executive Darren Sturgess estimates a new community and events centre as part of the regional tennis facility would still fall nearly $1 million short of its target.
The cash shortfall could have a severe impact on the sport in the North of the state.
Sturgess says the Launceston International "without a doubt" would be under threat from rival bidders for both the ATP and ITF events without upgrading facilities.
"There are other locations that are seeking out these opportunities where they can," Sturgess said.
"Without this facility, we are really being left behind.
"To not secure it also has a flow-on effect into Burnie.
"It's not only Launceston we're considering with this facility, but it also helps keep top players within Australia, but especially Tasmania."
Two of three of Tasmania's tournaments were only last year brought forward a week to capitalise on the conclusion of the Australian Open.
Tennis Australia will contribute $300,000 to the project to retain the tournament.
The Tasmanian government has already committed $2 million, a far cry from the $500,000 of the incumbent federal government's offer.
Sturgess hopes the opposition identifies greater funding as a Bass election issue.
"We're speaking to both sides of federal politics because we know there is election coming up," he said.
"We're seeking a further investment because we want to see as much of the project come to fruition for the people of Launceston and the greater tennis community.
"The project's benefit from the events that it brings in as a regional centre will be great for Launceston as well.
"So we're working hard to secure as much funding as we can. Once we get to that point and have exhausted all options, then we can review the scope of the project."
Sturgess was adamant the Launceston International remained important to "inspire the next generation".
The tournament had begun in 2012 as a women's only event before adding a men's draw three years later.
Progress to attract top-ranked players was made in 2018 when the women's prizemoney at the Launceston International increased from $25,000 to $60,000. The men's purse sits at $75,000.
The project would include a function centre to house up to 150 people on its top deck.
There could also be plans to increase the seating capacity past the 330 spectators that can watch from the western stand on centre court.
"What having a permanent facility allows is to free up some financials from all the temporary infrastructure that we have to hire in to enable us to get some other temporary seating options around," Sturgess said.
"It's not part of a scope of this project, but it does allow for an opportunity to cater to the demand of the popularity if the event still continues to grow like it has."
Love local sport? You should sign up to our new sports newsletter.