A father's evidence during a coronial inquest into the death of his baby daughter lacked credibility and at times was quite unbelievable, a court has heard.
An inquest into the death of baby Charlotte Lukendlay was held in Launceston in March.
The 11-week-old was rushed to the Launceston General Hospital after becoming unresponsive on February 21, 2016.
Charlotte was then flown to the Royal Hobart Hospital where doctors discovered she had multiple fractured ribs and her brain had been starved of oxygen.
Parents Gaurav Endlay and Rongrong (Angel) Lu were unable to go in the air ambulance with Charlotte, so the couple drove to Hobart from Launceston.
But when they arrived at the Hobart hospital Mr Endlay dropped Ms Lu at the door and started driving back to Launceston.
Mr Endlay told the inquest he wanted to get home to continue packing for the couple's move to Wagga Wagga in NSW and he thought Charlotte was OK.
- Father tells inquest burping by mother caused baby Charlotte Lukendlay's fractures
- Coronial inquest hears evidence of family violence, prolonged trauma to baby and threats
- Phone call from India suggests preference for baby boy, coronial inquest told
- Allegations father would shake baby and cover her face; planned to leave Tasmania the next day
On Thursday, counsel assisting Rebecca Lancaster presented her submissions to Coroner Olivia McTaggart.
She told the court Mr Endlay's evidence about not returning to the hospital was quite unbelievable.
"Your Honour could find that Mr Endlay's evidence was just not credible," Ms Lancaster said.
Charlotte's parents gave conflicting statements about their relationship status prior to their daughter's birth.
Throughout the inquest Mr Endlay denied there were any issues in the relationship, but Ms Lu said it was marred with physical violence and abuse.
The court heard about a day where Mr Endlay allegedly choked and threatened to kill Ms Lu when the couple lived in Darwin.
Ms Lu called the police and her partner was served with a family violence order.
Mr Endlay told the court Ms Lu called the police because she was upset he wanted to sleep in the lounge room instead of with her in the bedroom.
Ms Lancaster labelled Mr Endlay's version of events as fanciful.
The inquest also heard when baby Charlotte was born Mr Endlay was reluctant to be in the room, offering a cousin of Ms Lu's to go in instead of him.
Mr Endlay said that was incorrect and he wanted to be there.
"If I don't intend to go I wouldn't have gone," he said.
The inquest heard Mr Endlay spent little time with his daughter and when he did he was rough, would not support her head and neck, and would shout at her.
Ms Lu said Mr Endlay would take Charlotte into bedrooms and allegedly wrap her tightly and place her face down.
Mr Endlay denied all the accusations
Ms Lancaster said his evidence was tailored to shed Ms Lu in bad light, but counsel assisting submitted Ms Lu was diligent, careful and considered in her treatment of the baby.
Ms Lu and Mr Endlay have 14 days to reply to Ms Lancaster's submissions, which are due on May 2.
The inquest was adjourned until May 23.