The Catholic Church has removed a priest from the Meander Valley parish after complaints from parishioners.
Archbishop of Hobart the Most Reverend Julian Porteous said he had become aware of issues within the parish last month, after the appointment of Father Nicholas Rynne as the parish priest this year.
The church stressed that complaints were not of a sexual nature and more "personal and theological differences".
Church sources said parishioners were upset that Father Rynne was too conservative and had introduced Latin masses.
Archbishop Porteous asked retired Melbourne bishop Peter Elliot to investigate the matter.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Bishop Elliot visited the parish from March 25 to March 29 and interviewed 86 people.
Archbishop Porteous said he received Bishop Elliot's report and recommendations this week.
"In the light of his [Bishop Elliot's] recommendations and following discussion with diocesan consultors and the council of priests, Fr Nicholas Rynne has ceased his role as administrator of the Meander Valley Parish, and other associated roles in the Archdiocese," Archbishop Porteous said.
He said Father Rynne was taking leave.
Archbishop Porteous said his primary responsibility was to ensure the pastoral care of all concerned in the Meander Valley parish.
"We pray that a process of healing and restoration of unity may be achieved in the parish and among all affected," he said.
"The Dean of the North, Father Mark Freeman, has agreed to act as moderator of the Meander Valley parish for the immediate future.
"Provision of masses for the community in the coming weeks has been arranged."
Sign up to The Examiner's newsletters here: