Only 42 finalists remain of the 482 submissions of artwork for the coveted Glover Prize.
Submissions came from every Australian state and territory, as well as the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Italy.
Of the 42 finalists, 24 are mainland artists and 18 are Tasmanian.
Finalists include a few familiar faces to the prize, such two-time Glover Prize winner Raymond Arnold with his piece Deciduous Beech.
Glover Prize winner of 2012 Rodney Pople also made the final 42 with his artwork The Lost Glover.
Winner of the Glover Prize will be awarded a cash prize of $50,000 and a bronze maquette of John Glover.
The finalists will be displayed as always at the Falls Park Pavilion at Evandale for the Glover Prize exhibition between March 9 and March 17.
Visitors will be able to place their vote for the People’s and Children’s Choice awards during the exhibition.
FULL LIST OF FINALISTS:
- Clara Adolphs - The Sea
- Jim Andrew - Beacon: N.Z.O.B.-M-S-A.S 1748, By the light of the silvery moon
- Raymond Arnold – Deciduous Beech (The Fall)
- Paula Melissa – Barwick Once upon a time on the Nile river
- Paul Becker - Descending Darkness, White Invaders, Richmond
- Seth Birchall - Farm Garden
- Tarli Bird – Urban Landscape: Binalong Bay
- Joe Bollen - Spirit of Abel Tasman
- Edna Broad - Tamar Wetlands
- Maxine Brown - Mr Kelly’s Observatory (Jenico Street, Queenstown, Tasmania)
- Faridah Cameron – The sea
- Janis Clarke - Seal Shark Bay
- Samuel Condon – The River Nile, Van Diemen’s Land, by starlight
- Jason Cordero – The Day of the Mountain
- Gaye Coyne - Looking Up: Looking Out: Halcyon Days at Binalong Bay
- Alex Davern - Mood Food installs levitating Dan Flavin
- Fernando do Campo - Constructivist Colonial Landscape (Tasmania’s jackass)
- Peter Edgeley - The Woodpile
- Kylie Elkington - The Native Arrangement
- Donna Gibb – Feeling Mellow on Bruny Island
- Junko Go - Sometimes life seems as if the long, endless uphill struggle. Suddenly we are thinking hard about how far we have come and how far we still have to go and whether we have yet attained all that we hoped for.
- Piers Greville - Pedder Prime Cuts
- Robyn Harman - Blythe Star
- Pamela Horsley – Who Goes There
- Rachel Howell - Anthopocene
- Kate Hughes - Deceiving View
- Belem Lett – The River Runs / The People Come
- Fiona Lowry - While the sun burns behind the islands
- Janice Ross Maynard – putalina ‘Oyster Cove’
- Diane McDonald - Home
- Julian Meagher - Democratic Mountain
- Julie Payne - Beauty Displaced
- Rodney Pople - The Lost Glover
- William Rhodes - Midlands
- Kate Shaw - Shadowlands
- Melissa Smith – Beyond Thoughts - Lake Sorell
- Tony Sowersby – The tree at Russell Falls
- Seabastion Toast – Surfers are the Worst (Shipsterns Bluff)
- Amanda Tye - Pieman River in Paynes Grey
- Nicole van Dijk – Before the flood
- Craig Waddell – The Shadows Beneath The Soul
- Megan Walch - Sh*tstorm 2018
While you're with us, did you know that you can now sign up to receive breaking news updates and daily headlines direct to your inbox. Sign up here.