The SES has issued a Severe Weather Warning for people on the East Coast, Midlands, parts of the North-West Coast, Central North and Central Plateau districts.
There is a risk of large hailstones and heavy rainfall the afternoon of Saturday, December 8.
The service has asked the community to prepare themselves for the hazards associated with heavy rainfall and thunderstorms.
They advise people to:
- Ensure drains and gutters are clear of debris and running freely
- Never drive, walk, swim or cycle through flood waters
- Never play near floodwaters, drains or culverts
- Beware of fallen trees and power lines
- Take care when driving
- Be prepared in case of power outages
- Check that family and neighbours are aware of any warnings
- Preparation advice: www.ses.tas.gov.au
Latest weather warnings are available at www.bom.gov.au/tas.
If necessary, call the SES 132 500 SES for flood and storm assistance or Triple Zero for a life-threatening emergency.