A siege between Tasmania Police and two people who have barricaded themselves inside house at Trevallyn has entered its 16th hour, with a total of 33 shots fired overnight.
Police are continuing to negotiate with a 24-year-old man and a 40-year-old woman, who remain inside 33 New World Avenue armed with a firearm.
Police have not discharged any of their firearms.
The BearCat and Special Operations Group officers remain on the scene.
Commander Brett Smith said police were hopeful for a peaceful resolution.
“This will be our strategy going forward. We do as a precaution have a range of special units from our organisation providing support to our front line police,” he said.
“Going forward we are hoping that the two occupants will see sense and walk out [of the] residence and we can certainly guarantee their safety, they will be unharmed.
“However we will remain at the scene and our resolution going forward will be for a peaceful resolution.”
Commander Smith said a total of 33 shots were fired at police on Friday night, with about 14 residents evacuated from the area and about 35 police deployed to the scene.
“We are well resourced for this particular type of incident and we see this as something that is unnecessary, but we are more than adequate and capable of providing the necessary response.
“We believe we have had the window of one police vehicle shot out, so it is concerning.
“This type of behaviour is unacceptable. However our job is to make sure that we maximise the community safety, and in doing so that is why we put the amount of resources we have there.”
Commander Smith said police had responded to an incident at the same address earlier this week.
“It is all part of an ongoing investigation and we are hoping to at least progress that, when the two people exit the residence,” he said.
No one has been injured and Commander Smith said police were not treating it as a hostage situation.
People are asked to avoid the avoid the Reatta Road area until further notice.