An all-round masterclass against Wynyard has secured Riverside skipper Tom Garwood his third player of the round gong in just six rounds.
The left-hander, who is the only player to win the award more than once, was the obvious pick for round 7 after scoring a career-high 142 not out, taking 3-28 off 10 overs and snaffling a catch.
The three-time Cricket North century-maker has been dismissed just twice in five innings and boasts an average of 183, all while collecting nine wickets at 10.78.
“I just played straight and made the most of the boundary balls,” Garwood said of his match-winning knock.
“That’s probably the best innings I’ve played to be honest, a lot of hard work over the past few weeks is starting to pay off which is good.”
Garwood reached his ton at quicker than a run a ball and batted for nearly three hours to keep the Blues in second spot on the Greater Northern Cup ladder.
The flick through mid-wicket that brought up his 100 was one of 28 boundaries – the most by any batsman so far this season.
Garwood said he had been determined to see his side through to the final ball.
“Going on with it was the challenge for me, to make that big score and help post a win,” he said.
“Chasing down 205 someone had to be there at the end and I put it on myself to do that.”
Garwood is Cricket North’s leading run-scorer and sits seventh on the bowling charts, three wickets behind teenage teammate Cooper Anthes and South Launceston returnee Josh Freestone.
Top Cricket North run scorers after round 7
- Tom Garwood: 366 runs at 183. Top score 142*
- Dane Anderson: 236 runs at 59. Top score 130
- Nathan Philip: 189 runs at 94.50. Top score 133
- Connor Lockhart: 166 runs at 27.67. Top score 59
- Zac Oldenhof: 164 runs at 32.80. Top score 73
PLAYER OF THE ROUND WINNERS
- Round 1: Dane Anderson (Westbury)
- Round 2: Tom Garwood (Riverside)
- Round 3: Tom Garwood (Riverside)
- Round 4: Cooper Anthes (Riverside)
- Round 5: Will Donald (Westbury)
- Round 6: Nathan Philip (South Launceston)
- Round 7: Tom Garwood (Riverside)