This year’s The Examiner-IGA Junior Sports Award finalists have been revealed with several household names headlining each category.
Tasmania all-rounder Jarrod Freeman, national and state champion athlete Sam Clifford, North Launceston AFL draft prospect Tarryn Thomas, 2018 state junior triathlete of the year Ethan Stretton, mountain biker Sam Fox and basketballer Sejr Deans are all in the running for the male junior sportsperson of the year.
The women’s equivalent will be fought out between Launceston AFLW player Courtney Webb, basketballers Aishah Anis, Makala Bingley and Sophie Ackerley, gifted cricketer and footballer Emma Manix-Geeves, and tenpin bowler Sarah Pennicott.
Winners will be announced during a gala dinner at Country Club Tasmania on Wednesday, October 31, from 6pm, with former AFL player and Launceston Football Club coach Sam Lonergan to shed light on his career to date.
Anyone is welcome to attend with tickets available from The Examiner office in Cimitiere Street, Launceston.
- Male junior sportsperson of the year (15 -18 years): Jarrod Freeman, Lochie Dalton, Ethan Stretton, Sam Clifford, Sam Fox, Sejr Deans, Tarryn Thomas.
- Female Junior Sportsperson of the Year (15-18 years): Sarah Pennicott, Aishah Anis, Courtney Webb, Emma Manix-Geeves, Makala Bingley, Sophie Ackerley.
- Rising Junior Star of the Year – female (12-14 years): Jorjah Bailey, Emily Mitchell, Amealia Duffy, Bethany Hirst, Ebonie Agostini, Daizi Blundstone.
- Rising Junior Star of the Year – male (12-14 years): Bryce Lawes, Lachlan Maynard, Thomas Beaumont, Hugh Dolle.
- Team of the Year: Scotch Oakburn senior boys rowing squad, St Patrick’s College girls football team, NTJSA Gold representative team.
- Ricky Ponting Service to Sport Shield: David Hickman, Corey Ackerley, James Bolzonello.
- The Phil Edwards Bursary: Ethan Stretton, Sarah Penniecott, Ethan Crossingham.
While you're with us, did you know that you can now sign up to receive breaking news updates and daily headlines direct to your inbox. Sign up here.