Human remains located by Tasmania Police detectives at Myrtle Park in the North-East is likely to be that of missing Launceston man Jake Daniel Anderson-Brettner.
The 24-year-old went missing on August 15 and has not been seen or heard from since 6pm on that day.
Northern District Commander Brett Smith confirmed on Monday a body had been found by police.
- Launceston man, 24, missing since Wednesday
- Disappearance of Launceston man still treated as missing person case
- Two people in custody assisting with missing man case
- Detectives seek fourth vehicle of interest in missing man case
- Missing man’s body found at Myrtle Park by police
- Missing person case upgraded to murder after body found
Commander Smith said the body “was not intact” and confirmed at a press conference later on Monday that only a torso had been found.
Other locations, including the Launceston Waste Transfer Station on Remount Road at Mowbray and other sites on the West Tamar, are also being searched, as the investigation is upgraded from missing person to murder.
Here is what we know so far about the case:
Tasmania Police confirmed it had found human remains at Myrtle Park, in Tasmania’s North-East on Monday morning, after advising of a “police operation”.
The roads were closed to all traffic between Corkery’s Road and Weelaty Road from between 7am and 2pm.
All traffic, including heavy vehicles were diverted along Corkery’s Road and Weelaty Road for the duration.
About 10am, Tasmania Police released a statement to confirm it had found a body, which was identified by police as the missing Mr Anderson-Brettner.
Commander Smith said the body had been found during the police investigation into the whereabouts of the missing 24-year-old.
“As a result of those inquiries, detectives were led to a location near Myrtle Park, where a body was located. While the body has not been formally identified, it is believed to be Mr Anderson-Brettner,” Commander Smith said.
“The body is not intact. As part of the ongoing investigation, police will be searching a number of locations in order to provide Mr Anderson-Brettner’s family with closure. Our thoughts are with Mr Anderson-Brettner’s family and loved ones at this difficult time.”
Jake Daniel Anderson-Brettner was last seen at Riverside about 6pm on August 15.
The 24-year-old disappeared from Riverside and his own car was found abandoned in Balmoral Street on August 16.
Detective acting Inspector Craig Fox, who is leading the investigation into Mr Anderson-Brettner’s death, said police were investigating the key time period of 6-9pm on the Wednesday.
He said the short time period police had to work with, once they began their investigation, had been crucial in uncovering evidence that led to the discovery of the body.
A significant police operation was launched on August 17-19, with statewide resources engaged in the hunt.
The Westpac Rescue Helicopter was mobilised on Saturday and focused its search at Riverside.
On Saturday, detectives took two people, a 26-year-old man and a 25-year-old woman, into custody.
The couple remain in custody but have not been charged.
Detective acting Inspector Fox said they were assisting police with their inquiries.
Initial investigations from police focused around the movements and locations of three vehicles.
Police appealed for public information to anyone who may have seen a black 2015 Range Rover Evoque station wagon in the Riverside and Launceston areas between 6pm on August 15 and 4.30pm on August 16.
On August 17, police renewed their pleas for public assistance in helping them track the movements of three black vehicles in Riverside or West Tamar.
The vehicles included:
- a black 2011 Nissan Navara ute
- a black 2016 Range Rover Evoque station wagon
- a black 2016 Jeep Cherokee
The black Nissan Navara belonged to Mr Anderson-Brettner and was found unattended in Balmoral Avenue, Riverside, about 4.30pm on August 16.
Detective acting Inspector Fox said all three black cars were in police possession, but information from the public would help place their movements.
“We want to hear from anyone who saw these vehicles, where they were parked and who parked them,” he said.
On Sunday, detectives issued another call out for a fourth vehicle of interest, a white 2006 Mazda 6.
That vehicle is not in police possession at this stage.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Information from the public has been vital in assisting police with their investigation into Mr Anderson-Brettner’s disappearance.
However, Detective acting Inspector Fox and Commander Smith said police were still wishing to speak with anyone who may be able to provide any information.
“This is still an ongoing investigation, we are still interested in hearing what people know,” Commander Smith said.
Detective acting Inspector Fox said there had been a considerable amount of information pouring in to police about the investigation.
He said police had “a fair idea” of a timeline of Mr Anderson-Brettner’s movements but all information from the public would help corroborate that timeline.
Commander Smith said he wanted to thank the members of the community who had already come forward.
“I’d like to thank those members of the community who have provided information, and urge anyone else who has information and hasn’t spoken to police to contact us or provide information anonymously to Crime Stoppers.”
Those with information are urged to contact police on 131 444, or Crime Stoppers anonymously on 1800 333 000.
While you're with us, did you know that you can now sign up to receive breaking news updates direct to your inbox? Sign up here.