The state government has backed down from its controversial proposed changes to Tasmania’s gun laws.
It follows a polarised community debate over the proposal, which recently saw leading health professionals and gun rights advocates clash publicly.
On Friday afternoon, Premier Will Hodgman and Police Minister Michael Ferguson issued a joint statement, in which they outlined their reasons for scrapping their original plan.
“The government will not progress the previously announced firearms law proposals,” the statement read.
“We have consistently said that we will not do anything to undermine the National Firearms Agreement. Our firearms laws are among the toughest in the world and that is how they should remain.”
“We understand that there are deeply held concerns about public safety, and in an area as important to Tasmanians as gun laws, public confidence in our laws is essential.”
Mr Hodgman and Mr Ferguson said the government would be making a submission to the upper house inquiry into firearms law reform, stating its intention to closely consider the committee’s recommendations.
“There have been more than a dozen occasions since 1996 where firearms laws have been updated and we will be informed by the committee’s recommendations as to what further practical improvements could be made,” they said.