NTFA division 1 2018, round 17: Scottsdale through to finals, Parrots’ nervous wait

PACK MENTALITY: Parrot Jordan Wright gets a kick past the smothering arms of Josh Fisher. Pictures: Phillip Biggs
PACK MENTALITY: Parrot Jordan Wright gets a kick past the smothering arms of Josh Fisher. Pictures: Phillip Biggs

Scottsdale has left Bridgenorth and Longford to scrap it out for the last remaining finals spot after defeating Hillwood by 10 points. 

The Magpies’ seventh-straight win created a six-point safety buffer from Longford, meaning the August 25 clash with South Launceston can decide their ladder position but not their finals hopes.

Left shocked by the blistering first term Hillwood has become known for in recent weeks, Scottsdale fought back in the second term to take a three-point lead into half time. 

Neither side was willing to let up in the second half but Zac Bean starred for the second week running to give Scottsdale the edge. 

Lee Nichols’ three goals were matched by Sharks midfielder Nathan Pearce as the 9.11 (65) to 8.7 (55) result allowed Scottsdale to draw level with Hillwood on nine wins. 

BRACKNELL secured second spot for good by overpowering Bridgenorth 16.17 (113) to 11.8 (74). 

The Eric Izbicki-inspired victory sentenced Bridgenorth to a nervous final week, where its finals hopes will hinge on beating Rocherlea or hoping Longford lose to Hillwood. 

Shooting for a third-straight win, the Redlegs trailed early in the second term but began to lock the ball in their front half, allowing Corry Goodluck (four goals) to work his magic.

Parrots ruckman Darren Long drew first blood in the second half but whatever the home side could do Bracknell did better, as a Clinton Burn 45m boundary line banana and two goals to Glenn Dawson stretched the lead to three goals at the final break. 

Dawson kicked the first of the last term on his way to a haul of four, and coach Gary Shipton added two more.

Jordon Partridge was handy around half forward for Bridgenorth and bombed a 50m goal in the third term, while James Griffiths kicked four for the second time in a month. 

DELORAINE finished its year in style, upsetting Rocherlea by 29 points.

Having lost by 89 points in the reverse fixture, Deloraine looked a different outfit at home and took a 32-point lead into quarter time. 

Rocherlea mounted a challenge in the form of teenager Brayden Claridge, who kicked a season-high four goals to bring the Suburban Tigers within striking distance.

But the Kangaroos were unstoppable in the final term, amassing 12 scoring shots to three and secured an 11.22 (88) to 9.11 (59) win despite wasteful kicking.

Dylan Schnoor kicked a career-high bag of six to be among the home side’s best, while Jacob Wauchope and ruckman Jarrod Scott were also dominant. 

A last-term fightback hid the gap between first and last as SOUTH LAUNCESTON recorded a 16.10 (106) to 6.7 (43) win at George Town.

Todd Munro played his best game of the season, while Samuel Page and Bradley Keegan (three goals each) were useful foils as Sonny Whiting continued his four goal a game average since joining from the TSL.

Zac Cooke, Matthew McKinnon and Darcy Layh were George Town’s best.