A second case of meningococcal has been confirmed in Hobart after a 16-year-old girl died last week.
Deputy director of Population Health Services Scott McKeown confirmed on Sunday a 20-year-old man is being treated in the Royal Hobart Hospital for meningococcal disease.
This is the second case of meningococcal disease in Tasmania this year after the 16-year-old girl’s death.
“We do not believe this case is linked to that of a 16 year-old who sadly died last week with meningococcal disease,” Dr McKeown said.
Population Health Services advised the man’s close contacts on Saturday night and he was treated with antibiotics. The public health response continued on Sunday, with the man’s social and work contacts provided with information about the reportable disease.
Symptoms of meningococcal can include fever, severe muscle aches and pains, headache, feeling unusually unwell, confused or drowsy and, late in the illness, a rash may occur.
While this is the second case for 2018, typically, Tasmania has on average four or five cases each year.
“A person with meningococcal disease can deteriorate rapidly. If you suspect meningococcal disease, seek emergency medical treatment immediately,” Dr McKeown said.
Teenagers born between August 1 1997 and April 30 2003 are eligible for a state-funded vaccine through their GP, which protects against meningococcal strains A, C, W and Y.