Robins sitting pretty after win over Latrobe in the NWFL

BANG: Ulverstone's Darren Banham gets the ball forward in his side's NWFL win over Latrobe on Saturday. Picture: Matt Powell
BANG: Ulverstone's Darren Banham gets the ball forward in his side's NWFL win over Latrobe on Saturday. Picture: Matt Powell

Ulverstone will enter its week off relaxed with the knowledge that it sits two games clear at the top of the NWFL ladder

The Robins recorded their fourth successive victory by downing fellow competition heavyweight Latrobe by 45 points, 12.16 (88) to 5.11 (41), at Latrobe Recreation Ground in the match of the first weekend of the competition’s split round.

The Demons started the better to lead by three points at the first change with the breeze, and after kicking the first two goals of the second term they seemed in control of the contest.

But this was a false dawn, as the Robins piled on the next six goals with the assistance of the breeze to take an 18-point lead into the long break, with the scoreboard reading 7.6 (48) to 4.6 (30).

Ulverstone kicked the first two of the third to push the margin beyond five goals, but Latrobe kicked the only other major of the term to cut the margin to 23 at the final change.

A 3.5 to 0.1 final term from Ulverstone ensured a level of comfortability on the scoreboard at the final siren as the reigning premiers recorded its second win over the Demons at Latrobe this year following their 22-point victory in round 2.

The Robins found many avenues to goal, with Tyler  Everett kicking three and Brandon Howard, Darren Banham, Sam Brett and Manassah Dare-Bonnici bagging a double each.

This compared to Latrobe which could not manufacture a multiple goal-kicker as it managed just one goal in the second half.

The win sees Ulverstone got to an 11-2 win-loss record, while Latrobe remain in fourth spot with nine wins and four losses. 

Burnie and Wynyard will both be looking to close the gap to Ulverstone at the top to just one game when they play Circular Head and Devonport next week.

Saturday’s other game was between two teams at the other end of the table as Penguin downed East Devonport by 12 points, 8.12 (60) to 7.6 (48) at Dial Park.

In a game with a strong contested edge to it, Penguin led 2.4 to 0.0 at quarter-time, but the Swans kicked into gear in the second. Coach Nick Milbourne kicked his side’s only three goals of it to half-time go in just a goal down.

Penguin looked to again be in control when it led by 16 late in the term, but the Swans had other ideas.  When Sam Greaves kicked one early in the last, they were in front for the first time for the afternoon after three consecutive majors.

But they did not stay in that position for long as Jake Degroot soon got the lead back for Penguin, before Jack Templeton gave the Two Blues breathing space. Templeton and Degroot kicked two each for the winners, with Will Dau, Sam Mawer and Zach Targett among their best players. Milbourne finished with five goals for the Swans, with Cody Walker, Sam Borlini and Jack Triffett also strong.

The win moves Penguin to 4-10, equal on points with fifth-placed Circular Head. 

East Devonport, meanwhile, have a 2-11 record.