The Commonwealth government will offer grants to Tasmanians affected by the floods that swept through Hobart last week, Law Enforcement Minister Angus Taylor has announced.
The floods that swept through Hobart on Thursday night are estimated to cost more than $19 million in insurance payments.
Homes were inundated with water and cars were washed down roads, primarily in central Hobart, Sandy Bay, South Hobart, Lenah Valley, and Kingston.
Hobart received 129 millimetres of rain during the event – the fourth highest amount on record.
Mr Taylor and Premier Will Hodgman issued a joint statement on Monday evening, announcing that the Commonwealth government would be providing relief and recovery assistance, in concert with the state government.
The financial assistance will be available through the Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery arrangements to people affected by the floods.
The grants are for things like temporary living expenses, repair, restoration and clean-up.
“The Australian and Tasmanian governments will continue to work closely together to provide a range of practical assistance to help those affected clean up and recover from the devastation,” Mr Taylor said.
The grants are available for low-income earners and families affected by the inclement weather living in a range of municipalities including Hobart, Glenorchy and the Derwent Valley.
They are means-tested and therefore are not meant to replace insurance or compensation payments.
The grants will be available for three months.
The Insurance Council of Australia declared the flooding in Southern Tasmania a catastrophe on Friday.
On Monday afternoon, an Insurance Council spokesperson said more than 2000 insurance claims had been received in the wake of the floods, valued at $19.2 million.
For more information on the grants, contact Housing Tasmania on 1300 665 663.