Ulverstone's NWFL winning streak comes to an end under Wynyard pressure

Workhorse: Wynyard's Chris Bryan kicking one of his three goals in his side's 43-point victory over Ulverstone. Picture: Cordell Richardson.
Workhorse: Wynyard's Chris Bryan kicking one of his three goals in his side's 43-point victory over Ulverstone. Picture: Cordell Richardson.

There are no undefeated teams remaining in the NWFL after Wynyard ended Ulverstone’s winning streak with a 13.12 (90) to 7.5 (47) victory at Wynyard Recreation Ground on Saturday.

With a slight breeze favouring the western end of the ground, both sides took advantage scoring end in the first half with the Cats leading by 10 points at the long break.

The Robins were able to take their first lead of the game in the first five minutes of the second half, but failed to overcame the frantic pressure of the hosts and saw their three-point lead turn into a 31-point deficit at the final change.

Maintaining their pressure in the last quarter, the Cats kicked the final two goals to lock away the 43-point victory.

Cats’ forward Taylor Reeves was best on ground, ably supported by Chris Bryan (three goals), Matthew Bugg, Sam Douglas, Nick Hall (three goals) and Jorden Englund.

Travis and Liam Davies were the Robins’ best, while Klay Griffiths and Harry Barker battled hard on the wing, as star forward Jake Sushames and Ty Auton were the visitors’ only multiple goal kickers with two each.

Saturday’s other games saw Latrobe put in a powerful second-half performance to down Penguin by 78 points at Dial Park, 18.18 (126) to 7.6 (48).

The Demons twice fell behind by 18 points in the first term, and led by just three points at half-time, but kept the home side to 0.3, while kicking 11.12 themselves to ensure the large victory.

But the pain for the Two Blues wasn’t just confined to the scoreboard, with co-captain Rodney King re-injuring his troublesome knee which brought a premature end to his 200th game for the club.

Adam Jeffrey kicked four goals, while three players (Nathan Rataj, Kurt Hanson and Jade Smith) kicked three and Gavin Woodcock and Brayden Butler two each, with Rataj, Butler, Joseph Robertson and Shaun McCrossen all strong.  

King finished with two goals for Penguin, as did James King and Toby Skene played well on Josh Holland and Will Huxtable was strong around the ground.

Burnie’s Harry Walters kicked a bag of 13, his second double figure haul of the season as the Dockers had a heavy 25.24  (174) to 3.5 (23) win over Devonport at Devonport Oval.

As well as Walters, Dylan Smith and Bailey Boag in the middle, Nick McKenna in the ruck and Lucas Ford across half-forward were all impressive.

It wasn’t all good news for Burnie, with Luke Russell, Brayden Hayes and Blair Challis injuring their hamstrings.

Devonport debutant Alex Jolly impressed for the Magpies, and competed well against McKenna.

The final game of the round saw Circular Head continue its recent good form with a 31-point win over East Devonport at Girdlestone Park, 14.11 (95) to 9.10 (64). Jarrod Watling kicked five goals as the visitors came from behind at three-quarter-time to get the win.