Deteriorating World War One carvings at Legerwood replaced

MEMORIES: The trees that became the carvings were planted in 1918 in memory of the fallen soldiers from the town. Picture: Phillip Biggs

MEMORIES: The trees that became the carvings were planted in 1918 in memory of the fallen soldiers from the town. Picture: Phillip Biggs

Despite the deterioration of trees, the Legerwood community refused to let go of their renowned memorial carvings.

The carvings of Mr and Mrs Thomas Edwards, the nurse, and Trippy Forsyth were taken down from their trees on April 10.

Jason Chard of Tasmanian Burl and Steve Morris of Mobile Milling Tasmania created and installed their replacements.

The original tree carvings were completed by Ross chainsaw carver Eddie Freeman after the trees were deemed a danger by the Dorset Council.

Legerwood’s tree carvings depict the soldiers from the area that fell during World War One.

The carvings now attract bus loads of tourists to the once forgotten town.

IN OTHER NEWS