Child care educators will walk off the job on Tuesday in the latest in the war for wages.
The walk-off has been convened by United Voice and will be the biggest national walk off organised by the sector.
United Voice spokeswoman Jessica Sanders said centre staff had been working with families about the walk-off.
“Families have been supportive of the process,” she said.
It’s believed some centres will have to close due to the staff walk-off but others will not be affected.
Ms Sanders said families had supported the day of action and had negotiated to pick their children up early.
The Launceston day of action will include a rally at Prince’s Square and a march through the CBD.
Ms Sanders said about 6500 people nationally had signed up to take part in the day of action.
“The early childhood sector is poorly paid despite increasingly needing more qualifications,” she said.
The walk off is the third national walk off held across the country in a protest to lobby for increased wages for the sector.
Ms Sanders said she believed it was time the government stepped in to take action.
“Parents pay enough for child care, the money has to come from the government,” she said.
The federal government has a child care subsidy that helps families with the increasing cost of child care.
The subsidy is paid on a sliding scale determined by a family’s income and work participation.
There is also a benefit paid directly to low-income families.
However a streamlined subsidy that combines the two payments will come into effect on July 1.