Motorists are advised to expect delays during the weekend while a section of Cimitiere Street is replaced.
The Cimitiere and Tamar street intersection will be closed to traffic from 7pm on Friday, February 16 and will re-open on Monday, February 19.
The closure will allow for preliminary works to be undertaken before the major upgrades which are scheduled for February 26.
Local traffic will still be permitted through the affected streets, but access to parts of Cimitiere and Tamar streets approaching the intersection will be closed off to other motorists.
The Willis Street Car Park will remain open, as will the Cimitiere-Cameron Street Car Park when it’s not being used for the Harvest Market. Pedestrian access will remain open.
City of Launceston general manager Michael Stretton said the initial works would accelerate the overall project.
“The Cimitiere Street upgrade works have been designed to replace a segment of the road which has reached the end of its life,” Mr Stretton said.
"This stretch of road is simply not built to the standard required nowadays for contemporary traffic volumes.
Mr Stretton said the road had been upgraded “a number” of times over the years.
"Given the street's importance as an east to west link, it's come to the point where we need to excavate the road and start again with proper base materials, appropriate subsoil drainage and reconstruction to contemporary standards,” he said.
"We've timed the works to avoid clashes with big events like Festivale and Symphony Under the Stars, but there's obviously no ideal time to undertake a project like this.”
Mr Stretton Said he hoped people would “bear with” the council during the works.
"Renewing and improving our infrastructure is important for any contemporary city,” he said.