London: There will be royal wedding in Britain early next year, with Prince Harry announcing his engagement to actress Meghan Markle.
Clarence House announced the engagement at 10am on Monday, after a weekend of speculation in the British press that the announcement was imminent.
The couple became engaged earlier this month, Clarence House said, and both families had given their blessing to the union.
The pair will appear in a television interview on Monday night after an official photo shoot at Kensington Palace in the afternoon.
"The wedding will take place in spring 2018," the statement said.
"Prince Harry has informed Her Majesty The Queen and other close members of his family.
"Prince Harry has also sought and received the blessing of Ms Markle's parents."
Prince William and his wife Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, said they were "very excited" for the couple.
"It has been wonderful getting to know Meghan and to see how happy she and Harry are together," the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge said.
Meghan Markle's parents, Thomas Markle, and Doria Ragland, said they were "incredibly happy" with the news.
"Our daughter had always been a kind and loving person," the couple said.
"To see her union with Harry, who shares the same qualities, is a source of great joy for us as parents.
"We wish them a lifetime of happiness and are very excited for their future together."
Former prime minister David Cameron beat his Downing Street successor Theresa May to the computer keys, tweeting his congratulations.
"Congratulations to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. Wonderful news and I wish them a long and happy life together."