A number of road closures have occurred due to the Launceston Cycling Festival.
The following roads will be closed until 9pm:
- Brisbane Street between Earl and Lawrence streets
- Tamar Street between York and William streets
- Lawrence Street, Willis Street and Cimitiere Street between Tamar and Innes Street
- Elphin Road between Lawrence and Lyttleton streets
- High Street between York and Brisbane steets
- Cameron Street between George and Tamar sterrts
- The footpath of Brisbane Street outside the Mercure Hotel
The closures began at 7am due to the Stan Siejka Cycling Classic bike race, Tasmania's best showcase cycling event and one of the best street criterium races in Australia.
Thousands of spectators are expected and the event is being run by a local committee.
The city streets are closed so spectators can view these events close up with the infamous "Wall" climb up Lawrence Street and Peanut roundabout as the riders circumnavigate the beautiful City Park.
Some of Australia's best cyclists will be sen in action chasing the big prize.
Most hotels and restaurants on the circuit are open, so you can sit back and enjoy a drink or a meal.
Juniors from noon followed by Veterans, Elite Masters, Elite Women and Elite Men .
The event is considered one of Australia's most unique and best street criterium.