An Ashley Youth Detention Centre employee is still suspended from normal duties after an incident involving detainees almost 16 months ago, despite being cleared of any wrongdoing.
The officer was involved an incident, which occurred on July 15, where detainees smashed windows and threatened workers with shards of glass.
The worker had attempted to restrain two detainees and force them back into their rooms.
He had grabbed one detainee by the upper body and pulled him off a table and pushed him into a room.
He restrained the second detainee by grabbing him around the neck.
The actions led to departmental and police investigations after he was accused of using unreasonable force.
Human Services Minister Jacquie Petrusma in August last year said the worker had been taken out of contact with detainees immediately after the incident and was on full-paid leave.
He was cleared of the charges 12 months later in court by Magistrate Sharon Cure.
“It was an appropriate course to address the risks of the situation and was well within the limits of what was reasonable,” she said in her findings.
But it was revealed on Tuesday that he remained on suspension.
McIntyre independent MLC Greg Hall said he would provoke discussion on the matter in Parliament on Wednesday, saying that the measure was “unfair and unreasonable.”
A Human Services Department spokesman said the department could not comment on individual employee matters, due to privacy issues.
“We are not at liberty to discuss an individual’s employment situation,” said the spokesperson.