GNL | Baptist fails to shine but still makes finals

A lacklustre Burnie Baptist held out Tamar Churinga to consolidate second position and a finals berth with a two-goal first quarter the difference between the sides.

FULL STRETCH: Burnie Baptist's Rick Webb puts power into the hit while Jack Brophy lays it on the line for Tamar Churinga. Picture: Scott Gelston

FULL STRETCH: Burnie Baptist's Rick Webb puts power into the hit while Jack Brophy lays it on the line for Tamar Churinga. Picture: Scott Gelston

Alexander Poke slotted the first with a field goal two minutes from the start with Daniel Mills converting a penalty corner for the second minutes later. From this point on the game became a pedestrian affair.

Tamar went on the attack but was unable to penetrate the Baptist 25 and Baptist made forays amounting to turnovers.

It was a seesawing game with little to cheer about, until Tamar’s Justin Ockerby deflected a well-struck ball past keeper Jason Lynch in the dying minutes, a consolation for the losers.

South Launceston and City Marians played a fast and, at times, spiteful match with the visitors taking the lead ten minutes in from the stick of Jono Hawkins.

The Suns responded through Jordan Sutherland four minutes later and the game became hectic, in a constant thrust and parry style that had the crowd on its feet.

Lachie Elliott posted the next as the clock ran down, giving the Suns the lead at the long break.

Urgency for both sides was evident as they resumed battle with no change until coach Al McBain slotted a loose ball in the fiftieth minute to seal the game.

Smithton spokesman Nick Stokes described their game against Launceston City as tired, with both teams struggling for numbers, and the players just appearing to go through the motions.

The scores were level at nil-all at the long break, and a solid chat from Smithton leader Nigel Kingston stung the Saints into gear, creating scoring opportunities with patience around the circle.

Richard Cornish broke the deadlock with a corner conversion and Jason House put the score beyond City with a deflection to give the Saints the win.

Queechy held the early advantage against Devonport, leading at the big break, from the stick of Evan Lawrence.

The second half was tighter as the Subbies levelled the scoreboard with a corner conversion for Luke Hardy.

The scene was set for a fight to the death and the sides traded blows at a constant rate with the Q’s Daniel Chong adding another to separate the teams.

The Subbies’ never-say-die spirit shone through as the battle continued with Daniel Hinds being rewarded for his efforts with the match-leveller.

West Devonport went from chocolates last week to boiled lollies this week suffering their biggest loss for the season at the hands of the South Burnie Hawks.

Results: South Burnie def West 12-1, Smithton def Launceston City 2-0, Baptist def Tamar 2-1, South Launceston def City Marians 3-1, Devonport dw Queechy 2