An Ashley Youth Detention Centre detainee who was allegedly assaulted while in custody has admitted to threatening to kill workers and shoot their families.
Youth worker Shaun Bartlett is accused of using excessive force on two detainees at the centre in July last year, including a 17-year-old who appeared in the Launceston Magistrates Court on Monday to give evidence against him.
The court was shown footage of the alleged assaults which took place in two separate units at the centre. Both detainees gave evidence during the first day of what is expected to be a two-day hearing.
The second detainee said the alleged assault against him unfolded after Mr Bartlett asked him to go to his room.
When he refused, he said he was “dragged” there.
In the lead up to the alleged incident, the detainee had been attempting to cut himself on glass windows he had smashed the night before, the court heard.
The alleged victim told the court he was trying to cut himself so he could go to the nurse and get out of the unit.
When asked why he then refused to go to his room, he answered “it was just me being a stupid little [expletive]”.
“I lost it like I usually do … I got [sic] a bad temper.”
During cross-examinations, he was questioned about his behaviour prior to the alleged assault and asked if he had previously threatened to kill workers and shoot their families if he ever got out.
He answered “yeah, sometimes”.
He also admitted to keeping pieces of glass from the smashed windows to use on staff “if they come [sic] near us”.
Eight witnesses, including Ashley Youth Detention Centre staff, gave evidence on Monday. The hearing will continue on Tuesday.