The controversial supertrawler, the Geelong Star, is no longer in Australian waters.
The Australian Fisheries Management Authority confirmed on Tuesday that the supertrawler, which had been operating in Australian waters since April 2015, was no longer in Australian jurisdiction.
“The Geelong Star is not currently subject to any investigation by AFMA for breaches of Commonwealth fishing regulations,” AFMA said.
However, questions remain over the future plans of the trawler, with the Marine Traffic website showing it is currently off the coast of South Africa and headed Scotland.
The Geelong Star gained criticisms from many Tasmanians following the death of several seals and dolphins.
Liberal Lyons MHA Mark Shelton said it was a case of “good riddance to bad rubbish”.
“The Hodgman Liberal government’s position on factory freezer trawlers, such as the Geelong Star, has been consistent – they are banned in Tasmanian waters and will remain banned,” Mr Shelton said.
“Tasmanian recreational fishers can breathe a sigh of relief.
“I will continue to work with authorities to ensure that supertawlers are never allowed to operate in our waters.”
Seafish Tasmania was contacted for comment.
MORE TO COME