CAMPBELL Town was originally established in 1821 by Governor Macquarie as one of the four garrison towns and probation stations between Hobart and Launceston.
On the banks of the Elizabeth River, the town and river are named after Elizabeth Macquarie (nee Campbell).
The town, graced by historic buildings, is 134 kilometres from Hobart and 68 kilometres from Launceston on the Midland Highway.
It is a major pastoral, wool-growing and tourist centre in the Northern Midlands. With a population of about 900, Campbell Town offers plenty of sites to relax, including Valentines Park and beside the river.
Historic buildings include The First Fox Hunters Return, St Luke's Church, The Grange, Keans Brewery, St Andrews, St Michael's Church, the old schoolhouse and Brickhill Memorial Church.
Another beautiful landmark of the town is the Red Bridge, which is the oldest convict-built red brick bridge in Australia, built in 1836.
The Heritage Highway Museum and Visitor Information Centre stores an impressive collection of the towns history, including huon pine telephones that were used to record the first telephone calls in the Southern Hemisphere.
Campbell Town is a good base for trout fishing at Lake Leake, which is 30 kilometres to the south-east.