TASMANIA'S response to fires in the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area will be reviewed as calls for an independent inquiry grow louder.
Premier Will Hodgman said Tasmania's efforts in fighting the fires had been extraordinary, but said assessments about the effectiveness of the response would be done.
He said the government was concentrating on fighting fires currently burning before reflecting on the response, but stressed it would occur.
"When you look at the reality of very difficult circumstances, an unprecedented effort by the government to make us fire ready ... we have been efficient in reducing the risk to our natural area," he said.
"I fully understand and expect that people will want us to be assured that what we've done has been appropriate and the best possible reaction to what are very difficult circumstances and that will occur.
"There will be peer assessments. We will engage as a matter of course experts from interstate, including independent experts who will make a key determination about what we've done and how we can do it better."
Tasmanian Greens' Senator Nick McKim said an inquiry was necessary to assess how the fires were handled, how to better plan for projected increased fire risk and how to better respond in future.
He will table a motion in the Senate on February 22.
The call for an inquiry has been backed by state Greens Leader Cassy O'Connor, conservationists and academics, including University of Tasmania bushfire expert David Bowman.
Ms O'Connor said there were legitimate questions to be answered about the level of resourcing available to the Parks and Wildlife Service to respond to the current fire crisis and those in future, and the role governments should play in prioritising life and the state's natural assets.
The fires are estimated to have burnt more than 14,000 hectares in the TWWHA.