POLICE are investigating new claims of historic sexual abuse at an elite Hobart school.
Calvin Christian School in Kingston yesterday alerted police to sexual misconduct which allegedly took place more than 25 years ago, requesting a full investigation.
It is not known whether the allegations involve one or more students, or one or more teachers.
Principal Iain Belot said he was horrified, dismayed and deeply sorry that the alleged abuse could have happened.
"We're just horrified that abuse occurs, it's just tragic that anyone would suffer that, and it's sad to be in our school," he said.
Mr Belot said the allegation, which was brought to his attention on Thursday night, was the first of its kind for the school.
He said the school had offered police its full co-operation, and appealed to any student with information that might assist police to come forward.
"We have given police all the information and stand ready to give them anything that they require," Mr Belot said.
"We'll do everything to ensure that it's not only dealt with but that we take a stand to ensure that it stops."
Mr Belot said Calvin Christian School had applied rigorous and exhaustive processes in the recruitment of both teaching and support staff for at least 10 years.
He said the school would contact the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse to help identify any gaps in their systems.
"We want them to provide a review of our documentation and our processes regarding the hiring of staff and our internal systems," Mr Belot said.
He said the school would act on any advice from the Royal Commission.
Parents were yesterday notified of the allegations in writing.
The claims follow last year's royal commission hearing, which heard evidence of a paedophile ring allegedly operating at Hutchins School in Hobart in the 1960s.