Sharks continue finals surge

HILLWOOD continued its strong finals form and won its second consecutive NTFA division 1 final with a convincing 71-point victory over Bridgenorth in yesterday’s first semi-final at Youngtown.

Bridgenorth's Matthew Zanetto fends off a Hillwood opponent.

Bridgenorth's Matthew Zanetto fends off a Hillwood opponent.

The Sharks backed up from last week’s thrilling elimination final victory over Rocherlea to knock the Parrots out of the finals race.

It was a disappointing end to the season for Bridgenorth which finished second, was the only team to beat South Launceston during the roster season, but bowed out of the finals in straight-set defeats.

The Parrots started brightly and were up and about in the opening quarter of yesterday’s game kicking four goals to two with Joel Clements dangerous up forward booting two for the quarter.

Clements kicked his third two minutes in to the second quarter to open up a 17-point lead for his side but the Sharks to their credit lifted their intensity and fought their way into the contest.

Hillwood kicked the next three goals in a row to grab the lead mid-way through the quarter as they started to get their hands on the football more and used it better than the Parrots.

With more system going forward and a potent forward line which started to get on top with some strong marking, the Sharks booted five second quarter goals to Tom Coxsedge, Tim Gibbons, Jamie Rayner, Tom Bennett and Brady Squires to open up and 11 point advantage at half-time.

The premiership quarter went the way of the Sharks as they continued on with the job kicking five goals to two, including two more to Squires who was a livewire forward, to open up a 29-point lead at the final change.

The Sharks were on top, had more ball winners and better delivery to hit targets.

A stronger forward line and more options to goal took its toll on the Parrots as the floodgates opened in the final quarter and the Sharks ran rampant with another eight goal quarter to run out easy winners 20.19 (139) to 10.8 (68).

Squires finished with five goals for Hillwood in a best-on ground performance, with Andrew Whitmore also finishing with five and Gibbons three.

With a strong defence, a winning midfield and a potent forward line, the Sharks had plenty of contributors and winners across all three lines with Jake Chamberlain, Tom Cocksedge, Mark Walsh, Rayner and Leyth Gard other good players.

Clements finished with four goals for the Parrots while Josh Murfett kicked three.


Discuss "Sharks continue finals surge"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.