Safety concerns over USB chargers

THE death of a woman has prompted Tasmanian authorities to crackdown on dodgy USB power chargers.

In June mother-of-two Sheryl Anne Aldeguer was found electrocuted in her New South Wales home while wearing headphones with burns on her ears and chest.

It is believed her phone was connected to a faulty $5 charger at the time, which resulted in a high-voltage current being sent to her body.

WorkSafe Tasmania is auditing retail outlets in Tasmania to see if any non-compliant or unapproved USB power chargers are being offered for sale.

Non-compliant USB power chargers can be dangerous and can also damage equipment.

The state government is urging Tasmanians to be vigilant when buying USB power chargers in the wake of serious safety concerns about some chargers being sold interstate.

Consumers are urged to check that their charger either has the Australian regulatory compliance mark, which is a tick surrounded by a partial circle and enclosed in a triangle, or a safety certificate number, which means it is approved for sale in Australia.

Unapproved USB chargers can be easily identified as the plug pins have no insulation and there are holes drilled in the plug pins.

Anyone who has an unapproved USB charger should stop using the device immediately and throw it out.

Further advice on USB power charger safety is located on the WorkSafe Tasmania website at


Discuss "Safety concerns over USB chargers"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.