Knights in charge against Rangers

Rangers' Gabriel Tams makes his way through under pressure from a pair of Knights at Harley Parade yesterday.  Picture: SCOTT GELSTON
Rangers' Gabriel Tams makes his way through under pressure from a pair of Knights at Harley Parade yesterday. Picture: SCOTT GELSTON

PROSPECT Knights got their first win of the year in the Northern Premier League yesterday, holding on to a 3-2 victory against Northern Rangers after leading 2-0 at half-time.

Lachlan Farrell got a shot over the line after a scramble in the six-yard box before Josh Hartnett's miscued cross chipped the keeper.

Rangers should have pulled a goal back after the restart but Stefan Hamilton shanked his shot wide unmarked from 10 yards.

Gabriel Tams pulled a goal back, turning his marker in the box and shooting inside the front post, but Knights replied through Matt Heald, who lobbed the goalie from 25 yards.

An error allowed Rangers to make it 3-2 with two minutes to go after Tams intercepted a poor back pass and squared for John Wani to tap in, but Knights held on.

Somerset moved back to the top of the table, beating Devonport City 4-1.

Kyrone Johnson continued his form up front, finishing with a hat- trick. Josh Goodwin got the Sharks' other goal while Nathan Gratton scored the Strikers' only goal.

Launceston City fought out a 2-2 draw away to Ulverstone, while Burnie United continued their good home form, beating Launceston United 3-1.

Defending Victory League champions South Hobart survived an early scare to beat Kingborough Lions 4-1 after drawing 1-1 at the interval. Brayden Mann put South ahead with a simple tap in after a mix-up between a defender and the keeper in the sixth minute, but the Lions hit back in the 32nd minute when Danny Cowen headed in a cross at the back post.

South stepped up its play in the second half and hit the lead three minutes after the restart through Mann, before Nick Morton added the third in the 59th minute. Mann completed a hat-trick with a volley from an acute angle in the 70th minute.

Launceston City matched Olympia for the first 45 minutes to enter the sheds 0-0 but Olympia's Emmanuel Tsakiris broke the game open with a second-half hat-trick. City scored a late consolation goal.

Devonport City got its season back on track, Michael Holden and Brodie Denehey scoring in the second half against Glenorchy Knights after a scoreless first 45 minutes.

Results - Victory League: Kingborough Lions 1 lt South Hobart 4, Tilford Zebras 4 d Northern Rangers 0, Devonport City 2 d Glenorchy Knights 0, Olympia 3 d Launceston City 1. Northern Premier League: Prospect Knights 3 d Northern Rangers 2, Ulverstone 2 dw Launceston City 2, Burnie United 3 d Launceston United 1, Devonport 1 lt Somerset 4.


Discuss "Knights in charge against Rangers "

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.