Selby seizes the moment

LAUNCESTON veteran Jade Selby turned back the clock with a magnificent century knock of 175 not out to help his side to a five-wicket, first innings victory, over NTCA ladder-leader Westbury on the final day of their two-day game at Shaws Oval yesterday.

Resuming at 4-43, chasing the Shamrocks total of 188, Selby combined in a 200-run partnership with Tom Bennett who scored 70, with the Lions calling the game off at 5-290, about an hour after tea.

Westbury paid for some costly dropped catches in the first hour but the day belonged to the two Lions batsmen who batted particularly well to see them home.

``We are very happy (with the win) and Jade in particular and Tom clearly for a match-winning partnership for us,'' Launceston coach Paul Bunton said.

``We knew our work was cut out but the boys played very well today so we are rapt.

``It is an important win which keeps us up near the pointy end in a tight top four and we have another tough week coming up against South which should be an ideal tune-up for a final's campaign after Westbury.''

Shamrocks captain Dane Anderson took personal responsibility for their fielding mishaps after dropping three chances in the first hour of play.

``I dropped a sitter early on off Bennett but the other two were pretty tough,'' he said.

``To be fair we created opportunities in the first hour but to those guys credit they batted really well and over the next three hours we didn't create any opportunities at all.

``It might sound strange but I thought we bowled well up to tea even though we didn't take a wicket for a long time.

``Selbs is obviously a class player even though we haven't seen that for a while and he played very well today and Tommy Bennett was pretty patient and applied himself well and it was just one of those days.

``The Westbury wicket is always similar in that if you bowl well you can take wickets but once you get in as a batter it is hard to get out on.

``We just came up against a couple of guys today who applied themselves and played very well.

``They only about 50 runs in the first session but after that they didn't really give us any opportunities to get them out.''

RIVERSIDE claimed a first innings victory over George Town in their game at Windsor Park with the Saints batsmen holding on in their second innings to deny the Blues outright points.

Resuming at 3-48 in reply to Riverside's first innings of 4-395 declared, George Town was dismissed in its first dig for 201, with Marshall Pooley top scoring with 69.

Alex Saunders picked up figures of 4-73 and Ramesh Sundra took 3-8.

Batting a second time the Saints managed 6-215, to stave off an outright defeat.

Rohan Pooley made 50 not out, brother Marshall backed up with 49 and Luke Badham top scored with 69 not out.

Blues captain-coach Luke Richardson picked up 4-54 with the ball.

``We've spoken a lot over the past three or four weeks about application in our batting and spending time at the wicket and it was a much better effort from our boys,'' Rohan Pooley said.

``I'm pretty proud how a few of our boys dug in but full credit to Riverside who prepared a wicket which was an absolute belter and probably the best one we've played on in the past two or three seasons.''

Riverside bowler Alex Saunders charges in to bowl yesterday against  George Town.

Riverside bowler Alex Saunders charges in to bowl yesterday against George Town.