Bridgewater man on murder charge

POLICE have charged a Bridgewater man with murder after a body believed to be that of missing Sorell woman Jodi Michele Eaton was recovered from a shallow grave in the Derwent Valley on Thursday.

Detective Inspector Tim Dooley said police had located the apparent grave in a disturbed area of ground on a farm at Pelham, after three weeks of investigation.

Ms Eaton was last seen alive at 2.30am on Saturday, February 1,  in a house in Sage Court, Bridgewater, where she had attended a house party.

Detective Inspector Dooley said police would  allege that the 28-year-old mother of two was killed at that house sometime that day. 

He said police were yet to positively identify the grisly discovery at Pelham.

``What we believe to be the body was wrapped,'' he said.

Police began investigating Ms Eatons's disappearance two days after she was allegedly killed, when she was reported missing by her family.

Her sister last week made a desperate plea for information, saying: ``We still have hope, although it's getting harder and harder every day.''

Detective Inspector Dooley said the tragic end to the search had been devastating for police.

``Personally, I guess the measure of that would have been how difficult it was for me to talk to Jodi's family,'' he said.

``My heart goes out to Jodi's family and, on behalf of the investigation team and all those that have been involved in the investigation, Tasmania Police and other agencies, I offer my sincerest condolences.''

Bridgewater man Darren Michael Dobson, 37, appeared in an out-of-hours session of the Hobart Magistrates Court last night charged with Ms Eaton's murder.

He did not enter a plea and will face court again on Monday.

Police have also charged Bridgewater man Jonathon Paul Pearce, 36, and Gavin Daniel Hornberg, 37, with failing to report a killing and being an accessory after the fact to murder.

Mr Pearce, whose accessory charge related to Bridgewater, did not enter a plea and was bailed to appear on May 7.

Mr Hornberg, who was allegedly acted as an accessory at Pelham, was remanded in custody until Tuesday.

Detective Inspector Tim Dooley

Detective Inspector Tim Dooley