A BOOK detailing Tasmania's bushfire history will be released to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the 1967 Hobart disaster.
Historical author and former Tasmania Fire Service volunteer Roger McNeice is seeking unpublished photographs for the project and is urging people to tell their stories of the Black Tuesday bushfires that killed 62 people, injured about 900others and left more than 7000 homeless.
TFS chief officer Mike Brown said the book would also focus on all major bushfires in the state from 1850 and would include the 1934 Fitzgerald fire and this year's Tasman Peninsula blazes.
"Also the amalgamation of the rural and urban fire services, which became the Tasmania Fire Service back in 1969, and how it has progressed since then," Mr Brown said.
"We would certainly like to have it recorded and we are providing everything we can to help Roger do it, but he is keen on getting a lot of stories from people that have got some memory of the fires."
The book will be released in February 2017.
To contact Mr McNeice, email fireauthor@fire. tas.gov.au