Teams go hard as finals loom

DURING the third day of the under-15 men's and women's national indoor hockey championship, all teams came out hard with places within final matches on the fourth day tight.

Tasmania took on a strong New South Wales side and came out fighting. NSW scored the first goal of the match in the 10th minute through Kelsey Wishart. 

Tasmania was quick to reply, with Maddy Murphy finding the back of the net in the 11th minute of the match thanks to some well-set field play from Zoe Crawford, Miranda Grant and Murphy.

 The score line at half-time was 1-all with Tasmania looking promising in the second half with its defence holding well. 

In the 31st minute and 34th minute NSW captain Renee de la Motte scored from some quick passing resulting in a field goal and well-set penalty corner flick. 

In the 40th minute Tasmania conceded a penalty stroke resulting in the score line becoming 4-1 in NSW's favour.

Queensland and the ACT played out a tough draw in the second women's match of the day. 

Queensland scored in the first minute of the match through Morgan Gallagher with ACT replying quickly in the fifth minute through a field goal from Mikayla Bell. 

Both teams scored again before the half-time siren taking the score to 2-all. 

ACT came out hard from the first whistle after half-time and after a lot of persistence scored a well-worked field goal in the 25th minute thanks again to Bell. 

Queensland took the momentum after ACT scored and scored through Gemma Burtista off a penalty corner in the 35th minute taking the score to 3-all where they stayed.

In the men's competition Western Australia and Queensland played out a tight 5-all draw. 

Queensland opened the scoring in the match, through Jay Pavitt off a penalty corner, with Will Padman also adding to Queensland's score line only a minute later. 

Pavitt added another goal to his name in the seventh minute really putting WA on the back foot. 

Harry Golding, of WA, scored their first goal in the 17th minute, with the teams entering half-time with a score line of 3-1 in Queensland's favour. 

WA applied the pressure late in the second half to come away with a score line of 5-5, which meant both teams met again in the 4pm classification match.

In their second match against each other, Queensland opened the scoring again through Jackson Willie. 

The match was tight as whoever won faced NSW in the 1 v 2 final at 11.15am on the final day. 

At half-time the score was 1-all. 

After the half-time break Queensland came out firing to seal the win with three quick goals.

tfuniv For a slideshow of all the action visit

Emma Hatton, of Victoria, Queensland captain Morgan Gallagher and Victorian vice-captain Georgia Hopkins.

Emma Hatton, of Victoria, Queensland captain Morgan Gallagher and Victorian vice-captain Georgia Hopkins.


Discuss "Teams go hard as finals loom"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.