Convicted Summerhill sex offender faces more jail time

A convicted sex offender could soon be back behind bars after admitting to having sex with two teenage girls he met on Facebook.

The 25-year-old man pleaded guilty to two counts of having unlawful sex with a young person in the Launceston Supreme Court on Thursday.

The court heard the victims were 13 and 14 at the time of the offending in February last year and the man was 24.

The 13-year-old victim accepted a request from him on Facebook and her friend warned her he had been to jail before.

But the pair still met up the next day at a shopping centre and the man drove her back to his Summerhill home where they had sex.

The second victim also met him on Facebook and they started meeting up at a park and she would occasionally go to his house. 

On one of those occasions, they had sex.

The man was arrested in June last year but declined to answer questions about either of the girls.

A victim impact statement from one of the victims was read out by Crown Prosecutor Luke Brett on Thursday.

In the statement, the girl described how she felt “shame and seclusion” and had been “taken advantage of” by the man.

“I did not tell anybody … fearing I would be labelled a slut,” she wrote.

Mr Brett said the man had previously been convicted of online-related sex offences in 2012.

The court heard a psychological report mentioned in the man’s previous sentencing had described him as having the psycho-sexual maturity of a 14 or 15-year-old boy.

Defence lawyer Evan Hughes said his client also had relationships with women his own age and older women.

He said the man wanted to make it clear that he was “not only attracted to those that are younger”.

Mr Hughes said the man was aware he was facing more prison time.

“His focus for the future is the support of his family,” Mr Hughes said.

Justice Robert Pearce remanded the man in custody until December 18, when he will be sentenced.