Acting Human Services Minister Rene Hidding says it was appropriate for assault charges against an Ashley Youth Detention Centre worker to go to court, despite them being dismissed on Friday.
Shaun Bartlett, of Mole Creek, pleaded not guilty to two counts of assault against detainees at the centre in July last year.
Magistrate Sharon Cure dismissed both charges in the Launceston Magistrates Court after a two-day hearing, saying the force used by Mr Bartlett on the youths was reasonable.
Mr Hidding said the case being taken to court was not a waste of time or money. “Not at all, that’s the justice system at play,” he said.
“From our point-of-view, we’re pleased to see the matter resolved. Of course we’re absolutely committed to the safety of anybody in state care, but also our employees.
“That’s a matter that went through the justice system, it’s been resolved, we’re happy with that and we want to get on with it and keep everybody in the system safe.”
Mr Bartlett said he was looking forward to going back to work.
“I’m just happy a good result came out,” he said.
“I’m looking forward to putting this behind me and going back to work.”